This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Scandinavian Shuffle (#BOTB)

     Have you seen the U.S.A in a Chevrolet?   For two decades I owned Chevrolet vans which I used when I was working in a roadshow crisscrossing the nation, so I guess I've actually seen the U.S.A. in my Chevrolets.



The Dinah Shore Chevy Show
The Dinah Shore Chevy Show (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


A Musical Discovery

         Recently I've started watching reruns of The Dinah Shore Chevy Show on the Jewish Life Television Network (JLTV),  Does it ever bring back some memories!

          My parents used to watch this show when I was a child so I was inclined to watch it with them if I wasn't doing anything else.   While I don't recall much of what I had seen on her show, the iconic theme song "See the U.S.A. in Your Chevrolet" has stuck with me throughout the years.

         Watching these episodes again I realized not only how innovative those shows were for their time (1956-63), but also the diverse talent that appeared on the shows.  The roster of entertainers was a who's who of American show biz as well as talent from around the globe.   For example, one stand out show that had a blues theme featured Andy Williams, Ella Fitzgerald, Al Hirt, and the Perez Prado Orchestra.  What a dynamite line-up that was.

         Another episode was a musical tour of Copenhagen, Denmark which featured a very fine musical trio called The Swe-Danes.  On the show they performed their song "Scandinavian Shuffle" which prompted me to look for it on YouTube later on that evening.  When I discovered that many fine cover versions were available I was inspired to use a couple in a Battle of the Bands which I offer below...


Battle of the Bands


    Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens twice each month on the 1st and 15th.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Scandinavian Shuffle (1960)

       Composed by Danish vocalist/violinist Svend Asmussen for his group The Swe-Danes, "Scandinavian Shuffle" was a popular hit in Europe as well as hitting the Billboard chart in the U.S.  Though his vocal trio was only around for a few years, Asmussen had an incredibly long history during which he played with some of the biggest names in jazz and pop.  His career spanned a period from 1923 to 2010 and, though no longer performing, he is still alive at 100 years of age.        

       Here are the Swe-Danes with their original version of  "Scandinavian Shuffle" (1960) in a live performance setting.  This is for your reference only--DON'T VOTE ON THIS VERSION!






***************

The following are the versions for you to vote on:

The Real Group  "Scandinavian Shuffle"  (2015)

        This Swedish a cappella group cites Bobby McFerrin as their inspiration for doing the music they do.   The group was formed in 1984 and continues to perform and record great music. The Real Group has won numerous awards and has performed throughout the world.   They've released over 20 albums singing in English, Swedish, and other languages.   Their version of "Scandinavian Shuffle" is a tribute to the Swe-Danes.

  (The performance starts at about :20)





Mads Tolling Quartet  "Scandinavian Shuffle"  (2014)

        A renown jazz/classical violinist/violist/composer, Mads Tolling is best known as the lead player with the Grammy award winning Turtle Island String Quartet and for his solo violin work with Stanley Clarke's band.   Originally from Copenhagen, Denmark, Tolling now lives in San Francisco. His quartet has been together since 2008.





Time To Vote!

        Which of these two song versions do you prefer?   If you don't like either then try to play along and tell us which version you think is the least innocuous to you.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

 ‘YOUR DAILY DOSE’ 

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

The Doglady's Den 

Angel's Bark  

Cherdo on the Flipside  

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 
  
J. A. Scott  



Winner Announced Wednesday December 7th

           The outcome of this Battle will be revealed next Wednesday along with my #IWSG post.  I'll be continuing my President Trump Acclimation Series next week as well.  My next installment, a continuation of the post on "racism" which begins here, will be on either Monday or Friday depending on my willingness to get it done.  No matter what though, be here to see what's going on when it's going on.

           Do you miss the variety shows of days gone by?   What was your favorite television variety entertainment show?    Which do you prefer most--vocal or instrumental music?  





44 comments:

  1. I'm not sure there were many variety shows when I was a kid, at least we didn't watch them. #1 gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I think the true variety shows vanished after the 70's. I rarely watched TV in the 80's so I'm not sure about then.

      We start the voting with Real Group.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. LEE ~
    I watched most of the TV variety shows back in the 1970s. This incarnation of The Dinah Shore Show you've mentioned goes back too far for me, but I did regularly watch her show in the '70s. Also, The Mike Douglas Show, Laugh In, Glen Campbell, and Jim Stafford, whom I still love. I can't think of any living person I'd more like to sit at a bar and drink beer with than Jim Stafford.

    This was a damn fantastic BOTB installment! I was unfamiliar with both groups. But you know how much I love great vocal groups with sublime harmonizing, and THE REAL GROUP is as good as it gets in that department. One listen and I thought: They're going to be impossible to beat.

    And I was right. As good as Mads Tolling's band is, I gotta go with those golden voices. In fact, I'm gonna have to look into more of their stuffs because that kind of thing is right up my alley. Thanks for the introduction!!

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I never watched the later Dinah Shore shows, but I guess they were more like Mike Douglas with talk interspersed with variety performances. Maybe we'd all be better off if we went back to those types of daytime shows instead of those sleazy shows in the Jerry Springer mold (mold is what they're like!). JLTV has been showing some of the great old classic shows.

      Looks like The Real Group has an extensive discography with a lot of covers that could be used in later Battles.

      A vote for the vocal Real Group.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I remember the Dinah Shore Show.
    I actually like this one better as an instrumental.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, Dinah Shore had a number of shows that spanned a few decades. She also had quite a romantic life that included a widely publicized relationship with Burt Reynolds who was 20 years younger than she was.

      First vote for Mads Tolling.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. What a fun battle! This song is a real "toe tapper". ☺ I prefer the vocals over the instrumental, so please give my vote to The Real Group. The Dinah Shore Show is a vague memory, but didn't she keep going into the '70s? I remember some of those later ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, I agree about the catchy nature of the song--it's been running through my head for days now. Yeah, she had several shows over a period of many years.

      A vote for Real Group

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Lee,

    This is a new song for me with two new bands. I like both covers but the instrumental version didn't take a commanding lead with my interest but I really liked the jazzy style vocal style of contender #1 who earns my vote. Give it to Real Group.

    Do you miss the variety shows of days gone by? Actually, I do, especially at Christmas. I recall how you couldn't turn the TV on without seeing one of the popular variety programs featuring a Christmas special.

    What was your favorite television variety entertainment show?> I remember liking Laugh-In a lot. That's where I first saw the lovely Goldie Hawn. I really thought she was a dumb blonde. lol I guess my favorite might be a toss up between The Dean Martin Show and The Carol Burnett Show. Both were chock-full of great guests, good music, and fun skits.

    Which do you prefer most--vocal or instrumental music? I'd have to say vocal music but there are times when only instrumentals will do.

    What a fun battle and interesting questions! Have a good week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I was a Laugh In fanatic when it was on the air. Later, I actually watched Hee Haw as well. I almost always tuned into The Dean Martin Show.

      A vote for Real Group

      Lee

      Delete
  6. What a terrific tune to deck the halls by! It's bound to be one that rolls around in my head for awhile ;-) I'm always charmed by a cappella groups. In fact, my sister surprised the entire family when she sang the Alma mater that way at her college graduation. On the other hand, as the daughter of a musician, I can't help leaning more toward instrumentals. So Mads Tolling gets my vote this time.

    Variety shows were all the rage at our house. Carol Burnett, Andy Williams, Sonny and Cher (grandma couldn't get over the number of wardrobe changes!) and probably every Bob Hope Special there ever was. Great g-ma loved the Dinah Shore show, but grandma did not and since she was the "bread winner" you can guess who won that battle ;-) Anyway, your battle was great - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I can't get this song out of my head now. So catchy!

      A vote for Mads Tolling.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. What a fun song! I love it!
    And I also love me some a cappella! For that reason, my vote is going to The Real Group.

    I remember the Dinah Shore show. I don't know that my cable company carries the JLTV network but I'll look for it. I always loved Dinah Shore, although I can't say that I remember any episodes or appearances in particular.

    Fun battle!

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, I don't watch much of JLTV except for Dinah Shore and Jack Benny, but I try not to watch too much TV or I'd be sitting in front of the tube all day.

      Another vote for Real Group

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I certainly do miss the days of the variety shows. I thing it was on McCarthy's post that I mentioned a few of the shows I watched on the regular. Laugh-In and Mike Douglas were also watched. In the mid to late 70's our tv broke and my parents decided to not replace it, so I don't know if there were any other good variety shows after that.

    My vote today is for the Real Group. They gave it a lot of spunk and I enjoyed their sound.

    ~Mary
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, a broken TV could have been a blessing in some ways, but I'd hate for ours to break now.

      And it's Real Group again!

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Quite an interesting little ditty.
    Of the two selections provided I'm going to have to go with the Real Group. I thought it was cool what the stringed instruments did with the song, but the Real Group was truer to the original and reminded me a bit of Manhattan Transfer.
    Vote: Real Group

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeffrey, I think we have a trend going on here...

      Real Group

      Lee

      Delete
  10. This is an interesting battle, but not really my thang. I'm not big on acappella groups, and yet the piece is not as good as an instrumental. A quandary.

    I guess that I will vote for the rather amazing vocal work of the first group. BTW: I like both the newer versions better than the original.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Surprisingly to me, the vocalists held my attention far better than the instrumentalists. Vote #1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, you're not the only one it seems...

      Real Group

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Always a pleasure to read your posts of interest Lee.
      Love the BOTB.
      mY VOTE GOT TO "THE REAL GROUP"
      Yvonne;

      Delete
    3. Yvonne, Glad to see you here. I tried to leave a comment at your site and was rejected as "comments open to members only". I'll check again.

      A vote for Real Group.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I remember watching Dina Shore too. My grandmother lover her.
    I enjoyed both versions of the song but definitely preferred the Real Group version better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doreen, Dinah must have been beloved by many considering how long she was on TV.

      Real Group

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Lee,

    You MUST know by know that I am a vocals over instruments almost always. There have been exceptions to the rule, but not today! I particularly love acapella singing. And I really love it when it's great. This was great. I am going to look into this group further. Thank you for the introduction! They are indeed a REAL GROUP! And they get my vote...of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, yes, I knew you are a vocals person and figured you'd enjoy this number.

      A vote for Real Group

      Lee

      Delete
  14. This was fun! Both The Real Group and Mads Tolling did an excellent job with this one. I had them tied until I listened to the original and realized this was a song that needed the "scat" approach. So, I'm going with The Real Group by a hair over the Mads Tolling Quartet. All three were a joy to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, Glad you enjoyed these as much as I did--it's a tough choice for me.

      Again it's the Real Group

      Lee

      Delete
  15. Hi Lee.
    Wow what a great and uplifting battle. I, as a child used to sing soprano in the Durban boys choir, we sang on stage with the Drakensburg boys choir, attended performances by the Vienna boys choir on their tour of South Africa and had a fantastic time singing our hearts out. Television arrived in South Africa only in 1976 so any early variety shows just never showed up here, well maybe one or two like the Carroll Burnett show but very few.
    Sorry, never did own a Chevy nor did I see any of America but wow did I see a lot of sub Saharan Africa; The congo, Zambia, Malawi, Botswana, all of South Africa but never Mozambique, Angola nor Namibia, just never went there. Most of this extensive travel was undertaken by car, fascinating times.
    As to the vote for what I perceive to be the most enchanting performance of "Scandinavian shuffle", well having been a singer in my youth I really loved The Real Group's performance, I loved the way the performers were so "decently" dressed in all three groups. I loved the way in all three groups everyone seemed to be having a great time and the way the girls were dancing and bouncing around was delightful.
    It was a hard choice but, as far as I was concerned, the vocals clinched the deal.
    Thanks my friend for a fantastic introduction, Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoff, I always resisted being in any choir when I was a kid--a dumb decision from stubborn me.
      The travel you've done sounds impressive to me, one who will likely never visit the African continent. Good that you had that opportunity.

      Another vote for Real Group.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. Loved the feel-good, catchy quality of the original song and both the covers did a brilliant job. Voting for the first group, the vocals have a slight edge.

    Hubby drove an Optra for a few years while we were in Egypt, our only connection with Chevrolet so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nilanjana, an Optra is new to me so I googled it--sounds nice!

      A vote for Real Group

      Lee

      Delete
  17. Not only do I like THE REAL GROUP better, but I like their upbeat, snappy vibe. They look happy doing it. Lately, I'm sick to death of whining and complaining about ANYTHING.

    Not to shabby on the contender, though...it was a hard choice. Thanks, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cherdo, I figured happy sounds were what the season called for.

    Again a vote for Real Group

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was never one for the scat sound so the Real Group started to grate on my nerves. I liked Mad Tollings style so the section needs one gets my vote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, your vote is a twist from the trend. Mads needed that vote.

      Mads Tolling.

      Lee

      Delete
  20. I preferred The Mads Tolling Quartet. The instrumentation agreed with me more, and I love the violin. Vocals and instrumentals are such different types of music, and probably stimulate different parts of the brain. Each evokes a different type of mood, experience, and reaction. I love classical music, though I also love classic rock and pop. Each appeals to me on a different level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, good to see the support for the instrumentalists coming in. I'm partial to the violin as well.

      Another vote for Mads Tolling

      Lee

      Delete
  21. Replies
    1. Mike, looks like the vocal group is the "real deal".

      Real Group

      Lee

      Delete
  22. Funny how we notice all sorts of things about shows we used to watch when we were younger. The voting time has passed but if I were on time The Real Group would also get my vote. There is just something fun, chipper and homey about their version. Mads Tolling Quartets version just seems more specialty like what you'd listen at certain functions and background music in an animated movie. It is still really good but the formality just can't beat the homey feel of the other group's version of the song.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sheena-kay, I've already put up the results post, but your vote wouldn't have changed the outcome. I get what you're saying about the versions. I'd like to see an animated movie using Mads Tolling's version of this song.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee